Enterprise Europe Network (TRIT20180910001)
An italian hand-craft laboratory, that works in the creative sector and produces handmade jewels from recovery polyethylene terephthalate (PET), is seeking for technicians or experts in processing PET, or plastic materials structurally comparable to PET, for a technical cooperation agreement or service agreement.
An italian hand-craft laboratory, founded by two creative designers, that produces handmade jewels (mostly necklaces, earrings and bracelets), made by recovery polyethylene terephthalate (PET), is seeking for technicians or experts in processing PET or plastic materials structurally comparable to PET.
The PET is a transparent thermoplastic material, whose peculiarities have intensified its distribution and consolidated its use in the daily life, producing a significant impact on the environment during production and disposal. However, thanks to its structural characteristics, PET appears to be the most suitable material to be heat treated through non-industrial procedures to be recycled and reinvented.
The laboratory basic idea is to use an existing material, widely diffused, which, at the end of its functional cycle, can be recovered, transformed, remodeled and retrained. The jewels are created as a transfiguration of the essence of this "common" material, which is deprived of its primary meaning, reinterpreted and associated with a new use and a new life following the circular economy principles.
The advantages of using this kind of material are that:
- experimentation of the creative potential of recycled plastics, following the circular economy principles;
- the choice of using PET allows to exploit some of its characteristics, such as its elasticity and lightness, to obtain particularly elaborate and important dimensions without being heavy to wear;
- the innovative processing of a material that plays with transparencies and colors, lightness and strength, gives objects the technical and aesthetic peculiarities that make them so unique: apparently similar to glass, they are unbreakable and very light;
- the contemporary jewel, created from common materials, has undermined the concept of 'precious'. The jewel, intended as an ornament that "brings joy", is no longer inextricably linked to the idea of preciousness and richness but intercepts different moods, emotions, eccentricities and personalities;
- the handcrafted jewels are green inspired, with an alternative design and unconventional style, exclusive models with an eclectic soul: they becomes precious, as a result of the meticulous processing of materials.
The hand-crafted laboratory is seeking for solutions that simplify and speed up the cleaning and cutting operations of the PET. Currently, all the processing steps are performed by small manual tools that do not allow a quick and serial execution.
For the cleaning of this material they currently use common solvents (turpentine, alcohol, caustic soda): so they are looking for expertise that helps to find advance solutions that goes beyond the use of non-specific solvents.
The laboratory is looking for technical cooperation or service agreement with:
- Technicians experienced in the processing of polyethylene terephthalate, its chemical and structural behavior;
- Experts in cutting and forming plastic materials structurally comparable to polyethylene terephthalate;
- Chemical experts for the cleaning process of this material.
For more information please contact Enterprise Europe Network Latvia.